Home School Info Registration Calendar Faculty Parents & Students Pre-School SACC Athletics Parish
 As an instrument of the Catholic Church and Saint Mary Parish, we help parents  to educate children and to guide children to live as disciples of Jesus.
 
School Info
History
 
ST. MARY CHURCH

St. Mary Church was dedicated in 1868 as a response to the spiritual needs of the growing German-Catholic population of Columbus' South Side. The original schoolhouse, which stands behind the church, was erected in 1865 under the direction of Rev. Francis X. Specht, St. Mary's first pastor. It served as a temporary house of worship until the Gothic-style church was completed. St. Mary's distinctive spire - soaring 197 feet into the Columbus sky - was added in 1893.

By 1865, Columbus' population was one-third German, and the South Side had become a thriving working-class community. The new immigrants built homes and churches and established schools. Local German businesses, organizations, and newspapers prospered.

German Village is one of the premier historic restorations in the world, and is the largest privately funded historic district on the National Register of Historic Places. More than 1,600 buildings have been restored since 1960.

Ohio Bicentennial Commission
The Longaberger Company
St. Mary School Student Council
The Ohio Historical Society


This historical marker was awarded to St. Mary Church on behalf of the Ohio Bicentennial Commision's Longaberger Legacy Intitiative in 1999. The marker was dedicated in 2000. The marker is located in front of the rectory at 684 S. Third St.